Your data is worth more than you think. See how we let you stay in control of it
- What data do we collect?
- How do we collection your data?
- How will we use your data?
- How do we store your data?
- What are your data protection rights?
- What are cookies?
- What type of cookies do we use?
- How to manage your cookies
- Privacy policies of other websites
- How to contact us
- How to contact the appropriate authorities
What data do we collect?
GenSpeak collects the following data:
- Personal identification information
- names, email address, nationality, university campus, interests and hobbies, languages, date of birth, degree studying
- Personal matching preferences
- gender range, age range
- Device information
- device id, device type, geo-location information, computer and connection information, statistics on page views, traffic to and from the sites, ad data, IP address and standard web log information
- Additional Information
- provide directly through our website or app, indirectly through your use of our website or app or online presence, through other websites or accounts from which you permit us to collect information
How do we collection your data?
You directly provide GenSpeak with most of the data we collect. We collect data and process data when you:
- Register online or submit an expression of interest for any of our products or services
- Place an order for any of our products or services
- Voluntarily complete a customer survey or provide feedback on any part of the website, application, or via email
- Use or view our website via your browser's cookies
- Communication with us through correspondence, chats, email, or when you share information with us from other social applications, services or websites
- Interaction with our sites, services, content and advertising
GenSpeak may also receive your data indirectly from the following sources:
- University or institution you are a member of that has entered a contractual agreement with GenSpeak
- Google Analytics
How will we use your data?
GenSpeak collects your data so that we can:
- Enable you to access and use our GenSpeak App and website
- Populate your profile
- Manage your account
- Match you with potential buddies
- Email you with special offers on other products and services we think you might like
- Send you service, support and administrative messages, reminders, technical notices, updates, security alerts, and information requested by you
- Operate, protect, improve and optimise our GenSpeak app and website, business and our users' experience, such as to perform analytics, conduct research and for advertising and marketing
When GenSpeak processes your order, it may send your data to, and also use the resulting information from credit reference agencies to prevent fraudulent purchases.
How do we store your data?
GenSpeak securely stores your data on the Amazon AWS servers. Amazon AWS offers strong encryption for your data in transit and at rest and does not disclose any of your information to third parties unless required to do so to comply with a legally valid and binding order.
GenSpeak will keep your data for the duration that your profile is active or that the data is used to deliver our contractual obligations. Once this time period has expired, we will delete your data within 3 months by deleting all personal data from our database and anonymising all public interactions with other users (e.g. comments, event creations) from deleted accounts.
We may hold your personal information in either electronic or hard copy form. We take reasonable steps to protect your personal information from misuse, interference and loss, as well as unauthorised access, modification or disclosure and we use a number of physical, administrative, personnel and technical measures to protect your personal information. However, we cannot guarantee the security of your personal information.
GenSpeak would like to send you information about products and services of ours that we think you might like in accordance with the Australian Spam Act and the Privacy Act. You have the right at any time to stop GenSpeak from contacting you for marketing purposes or giving your data to other members of the GenSpeak Group. If you no longer wish to be contacted for marketing purposes, please click here. (We do not currently have a mailing program)
What are your data protection rights?
GenSpeak would like to make sure you are fully aware of all of your data protection rights. Every user is entitled to the following:
The right to access - You have the right to request GenSpeak for copies of your personal data.
The right to rectification - You have the right to request that GenSpeak correct any information you believe is inaccurate. You also have the right to request GenSpeak to complete the information you believe is incomplete.
The right to erasure - You have the right to request that GenSpeak erase your personal data, under certain conditions. Any personal information attached to any public interactions with other users such as comments, messaging groups, etc will be anonymised.
The right to restrict processing - You have the right to request that GenSpeak restrict the processing of your personal data, under certain conditions.
The right to object to processing - You have the right to object to GenSpeak's processing of your personal data, under certain conditions.
The right to data portability - You have the right to request that GenSpeak transfer the data that we have collected to another organization, or directly to you, under certain conditions.
If you make a request, we have one month to respond to you unless it is a more complicated case then we have seven months to respond. If you would like to exercise any of these rights, please contact us at:
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Contact links in the app and website
What are cookies?
Cookies are text files placed on your computer to collect standard Internet log information and visitor behavior information. When you visit our websites, we may collect information from you automatically through cookies or similar technology.
For further information, visit allaboutcookies.org
- Understanding how you use our website
What type of cookies do we use?
There are a number of different types of cookies, however through third party tools (Facebook Pixel and Google Analytics), our website uses:
Advertising: GenSpeak uses these cookies through third party tools to collect information about your visit to our website, the content you viewed, the links you followed from advertising campaigns and information about your browser, and device.
- Identify unique user
- Identify unique sessions
- Throttle the request rate
- Store information about user's sessions and campaigns
- Track conversions from ads
How to manage your cookies
You can set your browser not to accept cookies, and the above website tells you how to remove cookies from your browser. However, in a few cases, some of our website features may not function as a result.
JSON Web Tokens (JWTs) create a compact and self-contained way for securely transmitting information between parties and this information can be verified and trusted because it is digitally signed. JWTs are required in order to ensure security.
For further information, visit jwt.io/introduction
How do we use JWTs
Authorisation: Once the user is logged in, each subsequent request will include the JWT, allowing you to only access the services that are permitted with that token.
Functionality: GenSpeak uses JMTs to recognize you on our website and remember your previously selected preferences. These could include what language you prefer and location you are in.
Information Exchange: Used to securely transmit information between parties. Because JWTs can be digitally signed you can be sure the senders are who they say they are and also verify that the content hasn't been tampered with.
Privacy policies of other websites
- Email: email@example.com
- Contact links in the app and website
How to contact the appropriate authorities
Should you wish to report a complaint or if you feel that GenSpeak has not addressed your concern in a satisfactory manner, you may contact:
- Australia: Office of the Australian Information Commissioner
- Phone: 1300 363 992
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Post: GPO Box 5218, Sydney, NSW, 2001
- Fax: +61 2 9284 9666
- Street address: Office of the Australian Information Commissioner, Level 3, 175 Pitt Street, Sydney, NSW, 2000
- Hours: 10am to 4pm, Monday to Friday
- Belgium: National Data Authority
- Commission de la protection de la vie privée
- Rue de la Presse 35
- 1000 Bruxelles
- Phone: +32 2 274 48 00
- Email: email@example.com
- Fax: +32 2 274 48 35
- Website: http://www.privacycommission.be
- Art 29 WP Vice-President: Willem DEBEUCKELAERE, President of the Belgian Privacycommission